Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Christmas Day

Lots of fun. Toys and paper everywhere! We had a lot of fun with the dinosaur Henry got. It's amazingly lifelike when it's on Demo, and Wesley wasn't really sure what to think of it.




The highlight of my Christmas morning this year actually did not have to do with watching the kids. The best gift and the biggest, knockout surprise was for James--a MacBook Pro. It was largely for his research and some of his big upcoming trips, but also something he'll have an immense amount of fun with. It's a long story, but it had been our long-running joke that that's what he wanted for Christmas and five more years' worth of birthdays, but I had been 100% sure that we're not getting that. And then, just the Thursday before Christmas, Henry and I were going to finish up some shopping and I realized that there was a PeachMac store in town and that I could be sure of completely surprising James (which can be hard to do) and then a thought that I think was actually a prompting of the Spirit: that my hard-working husband, in the last few months, had already earned it and that it was something I should do and not withhold from him.

Again not to go into endless details but I had the biggest thrill of the Christmas spirit this year getting that computer and hiding it and getting it ready for Christmas morning. I made sure that the last present to be opened was a family gift of the game Clue, which Henry had opened on his own a few weeks ago. So James got the unexciting job of opening the rewrapped family present, but of course he didn't know there would be the note under the plastic directing him to look under the couch. It was a pretty exciting moment. We had long since lost the boys' attention to their new toys, but I had the best Christmas experience ever of seeing my husband open a gift the made him both go crazy with excitement and choke up and say over and over, "I can't believe it. I just can't believe it." I love him so much. He is deserving of everything good he gets in this life and of so much more as well. I can't believe I almost didn't get it for him. Life is short and it could all end tomorrow. This Christmas was worth every penny.

The Santa breakfast was a big hit. As you can see, the boys were very excited! Very, very fun for me.


So here is the rest of it--egg nog French toast, eggs, sausage, OJ, and hot cocoa (Henry is obsessed with "hot to-to" and especially if the water comes from a teapot). It was all super-yummy.



7 comments:

Cordell and Sarah said...

Sounds like you guys did some fun things for Christmas. Way to go! We miss you guys. Cordell had fun peaking over my shoulder to see your pictures. That's great your in a bigger place. Looks so nice. Your boys are growing so fast and seem so well mannered. We are working on stubbornness and disobedience right now I'm afraid. Teach me some of your tricks:o)

Mary said...

I am so glad your Christmas was so wonderful! It takes a lot of work to accomplish that--way to go!

Becca said...

such an amazing idea, the breakfast! How cute is that? Looks like a lot of fun! I am excited to have a little baby for christmas this year. She'll almost be one, so it should be fun.

John said...

You have a lovely family. I am glad that we got to see you guys in UT. The Christmas tree is neat and I loved your breakfast tree. John read about your breakfast and said, "I love breakfast food. I think sausage is my favorite." I mentioned that I like sausage a lot too, but that I never make it because of the calories and fat. John then said that between me and calories and him and money we won't ever do much more than cereal for breakfast. But I too like to make a big Christmas breakfast. Orange juice is usually our big treat.

Em said...

Oh my gosh em! You are so amazing! THat breakfast looked awesome, man I seriously need to learn from you guys, you are the best.

Judy said...

Your table is amazing! What a tree too. That is just a perfect Christmas.

Em said...

All right kiddos, about time to update the blog...I always check it and it is still the same........ j/k. I know how busy life is.